Sunday, March 8, 2009

E.R visit x2

Wow is all I can say! This past week has been very tiring.

Since Jonathan has gotten the G tube things seem very difficult. At first on the 12th when he got the surgery of course he was in pain. It seem to subside by the 16th monday and then I started him on a blenderized diet consisting of rice milk, coconut milk, sweet potato, chicken, yogurt, flax seed oil, probiotics and pear juice everything organic! Jonathan loved this new "food" he was eating by tube. and when we went to the peds he gained 8 ozs which is really great for jr. because he doesn't usually put on weight that fast. Well on the 20th we had an appt. with the surgeon that did the g tube surgery and we told him that the area looks so red and irritated, his response is it looks irritated so lets wash the area 3 times a day and apply ointment, o.k thats not a problem! Oh ya the best news Jonathans reflux was gone completely after starting this new diet! The next week went great and then on friday night the 27th Jonathan started to reflux a bit but we weren't to concerned but on saturday Justin watched Jonathan and he threw up projectile vomit 4 times in a matter of 2 hours now we're concerned. So I called the peds office and he lost a half pound and everyone thought he was constipated so we went home put in a lovely suppository and gave Jonathan just pedialite by tube and he seemed to do o.k only two more spit up like pukes. Well Sunday was another story he started the day puking projectile but we we're able to keep some pedialite down enough for wet diapers so Sunday was just a pukey mess. Monday morning Jonathan was just in pain and crying non stop so E.R here we come, we went to Beaumont and they thought maybe it was the tube so the resident came down checked it and said he thought it looked o.k then the nurses tried to get blood from Jonathan and let me tell you when I tell a nurse that Jonathan is VERY hard to get blood from and they look at me like I'm crazy it really ticks me off! Oh and of course I was right it took them 3 pokes and all 3 bursted so the last one they were able to get enough for a CBC but even that was pushing it. Well long story short they sent us home! All day monday was a puke fest and we were all exhausted to say the least. Tuesday started out with Jonathan not being able to hold even his meds down so E.R here we go again but this time we went to the University, we got there they were very nice and sincere (our last visit was terrible and I swore we would never be back) I bursted into tears because I didn't know what was wrong with my baby. They took blood and got blood the second time they tried and was able to put in an i.v, Jonathan was very dehydrated to say the least they pumped so much pedialite in him it wasn't funny how could I let my baby get that way! We were admitted to the peds for an overnight stay and on the second day we tried a new formula because I literally scared the heck out of everyone with my blended diet! He excepted the new formula Nutgen and we were able to get him up to his continuous feed but they wanted to keep us one more night just to make sure. He did fine just a couple spit ups but that was fine. We still really don't know why he started with the puking the docs had us a bit worried it was rotovirus because of the watery poop that had the most stinkiest smell in the world but that culture came back negative. They think it could of just been a stomach bug I don't know but Jonathan is now doing good trying to put his weight back on all in all he did lose a bit over a pound which just kills me but oh well he'll put the weight back on. Why can it take just 5 days for him to lose a pound but it takes me months to lose a pound? WE did talk with a nutritionist that did inform us we should have been giving Jonathan about 5 ozs of water on top of his blended diet so I think that my little diet was to heavy on his belly, so I am giving him a break and then will start him back on it because I loved just how happy and energetic he was and the fact that his reflux was gone!




So Jonathan is definitely doing better he even wants to eat a bit more. Daddy feed him some sour cream and he just loved it and yesterday we had chinese and he just wanted more of my pineapple chicken he is so cute! He did try to bit with his gums the chicken I think he was getting tired of sucking all the juice off , he gave me a bit of a scare!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hi. My name is Jen and I was referred to your site by another micro-preemie mom. I have micro-preemie twins, born at 23 5/7 weeks (two days apart), Grace & Faith.
They are now 18 months old (14 corrected).
I just wanted to let you know we too are are sinners, saved by the blood of Jesus. And since I have been intoduced to your site, we have lifted your family up in prayer.
Sorry to hear of your little mans recent ER visit. And I hope these next few weeks are much better for you.
God Bless
Jen

Michele said...

You're little guy is SO cute! Love the hearing aids! Hope he starts feeling better soon.