Thursday, July 30, 2009

So heartbreaking!

Jonathan is doing great, he did have a cold and lost about a pound but am very confident he will gain his weight back. He has been very active with grandma and papa, they have spoiled him (nothing new) taking him to fowlerville fair almost everyday he really enjoyed the animals but loved the demolition derby, tractor pulls and another day od demolition derby justin and I both went to the last demolition derby and my parents weren't kidding! Jonathan smiled from ear to ear and just giggled when those engines roared he really loved watching them smash into each other laughing and jumping while daddy was standing him up on his lap. Tell me does that sound like ALL boy to you?!! They have taken him to the movies and he did really well it was an imax movie at greenfield village, my parents have a membership there so they go often, I particularly can go once or twice and I've seen enough but Jonathan loves it too so that is great.

Jonathan started feeding therapy about 2 months ago with a new therapist at a new place. His therapist was really surprised at how eager he wants to eat but gagged if you went any further than his front teeth then said he needs to be desensitized sure dude whatever you say! You can tell I was optimistic about anything working because we have tried what I thought of as everything! Well fast forward to now and Jonathan more then ever wants to eat, we will get something to go and Jonathan watches from his carseat and cries he opens his mouth licks his lips anything to get food in his mouth. So as we pulled over I got him out and I was eating a cheese omelet and Jonathan ate all the gooey cheese and just loved it but this happens ALL the time we have even stopped him from being in his high chair when we eat because he doesn't get that whatever is going on in his belly won't let him have more than a couple ounces even though he might reflux he wants to do it again and cries because he wants real food and clearly as of right now he can take pudding like texture and he won't touch baby food not even stage 3 he wants our food! Well yesterday at his feeding therapy Jonathan ate 1/2 butterscotch pudding he likes flavor no vanilla or chocolate he wants lemon, butterscotch, carmel(pudding of course) Stephanie his o.t can now get her fingers all the way back to his molars no gagging no reflux just sits there looking at her (as we are clapping and praising him) as to say "oh this is what you wanted me to do , no biggie" and opens his mouth a little bigger he has done this for the last couple weeks with this week being the best. So next week we will be trying crushed graham crackers in pudding to change a little of the texture. He still drinks about 3-4 ounces of water a day by mouth on top of his blended high calorie smoothies(smoothies by g tube). He also loves sweet tea, thats my boy right there!!! I tried giving him propel a flavored water with just a tiny bit of calories. SO I asked him do you want water, I wasn't lying it is water just a little berry flavor he eagerly opened his mouth happy to take some, as I put it in his mouth he looked at me as though I was poisoning him and preceded to spit it out he thought it was the grossest thing ever he didn't let me hold him the rest of the night thank GOD it was in the evening I felt terrible. I'll let him stick with water sweet tea and a little bit of cola, all I can say is I tried! SO hopefully with prayer and lots of it, he will be able to take the crushed crackers and we can move to bigger things.

3 comments:

The Buckley Family said...

Johnathan and your family is in our prayers every day. I am confident that he will get it, it just might be a slow process. The fact that he is desiring real food so much is a MAJOR first step!!

23 weekers said...

Way to go Johnathan! We also crush puffs and put the crumbles into the gerber 3rd foods and K&C do great. The first couple of meals with the crumbles, they gag, but quickly get over it and accept the new texture.

Good luck! He's doing great! Big improvements and change.

Shanon

Michele said...

I am so happy for you and for Johnathan!!!! This whole micro-preemie deal that we got dealt, is such a slow process..but worth every bit of it (for the most part). We learn to appreciate the small things life has to offer! YAY for him for being able to eat pudding!!! Good luck with the crushed crackers in it!
btw...love the pictures of him in his walker!!!
You are all in my prayers...your pregnancy, Johnathan and everyone.