Monday, November 2, 2009

A hospital stay for me!

So I got admitted to the university thursday night but was able to come home friday late 9pm. The reason for the stay is that my blood pressures have been high or higher than when I first became pregnant my "normal" bp was 116/ mid 70's well the last few weeks its been creeping to about 135's over 90's so last week they asked me all the preclamptic questions if I had blurred vision, headache, sudden swelling, pain in upper right of stomach and I said no to all the above I felt fine. So come thursday I had a severe headache, took 2 tylenol and took a nap, I am so very, very thankful my parents are here to help because I don't know what I would do! Anyway I woke up to the same headache and just thought well it will go away sooner or later plus I was excited because Justin and I were going to get a tour of the birthing rooms later that evening not knowing I was going to get my own private tour! Well Justin came home and said you look pale are you o.k I told him I had a headache for about the last 3 to 4 hours he freaked and called the triage and talked with a nurse they told us to come in and I explained that we had a tour up there and we would come up after if I was still having a headache! Well long story longer we did miss the tour because my headache did get worse. They took my bp and it was 138/95 they started an i.v of saline took cultures and then took another bp which was now 141/105 I was going to be admitted! The residents then decided AFTER all blood work and cultures came back NORMAL that they should start me on magnesium (I HATE this stuff) which I have never had and it really no really sucks! My insulin a bp cuff consistently on my right arm a foley catheter and leg pressure cuffs so I wouldn't get blood clots!!!!!!! I was very upset to say the least my headache was gone after they gave me percoset(sp?) my test came back normal but oh ya I was at a teaching university so hopefully someone there learned something! I was not allowed to get up, or eat and those that know me I get a little feisty when hungry. So then they wanted to do a 24 hr urine test, they had to wake me every hr to make sure I knew who I was because mag. affects everyone different so sleep was not happening that night to say the least. The did give me the steroid shot x'2 hence why I couldn't leave till 9pm because they have to be 24 hrs apart and I really forgot how much that shot hurts! The best thing that did happen though is I got to hear Leah hiccups, kicks, moving everything and she was a superstar I was worried when the docs started talking delivery because I really want to make it to at least 36 weeks (tomorrow I'm 35) but was also very thankful that if she was going to be born 9 weeks longer than the boys is very significant! So I am home now monitoring my bp which has still been high but no other symptoms so they are saying I'm a mild case of preclampsia but that could turn around to severe overnight! I really wish the docs/nurses would know when not to explain things because I have a very worried/frantic husband and now if I even walk to far he wants me to check my bp to make sure I'm o.k, God knows I love him!

2 comments:

23 weekers said...

Thinking about you. Hang in there. I've fought the BP thing, it's no fun. I'm also not a fan of Mag. Yuk! It won't be much longer. 35 weeks is pretty darn good.

Erin said...

I am glad your husband and the docs are being proactive. Preeclampsia is not to be taken lightly (severe pre-e/HELLP syndrome is the reason Fletcher had to be delivered at 25 wks).

That said, yea for the 35 weeks!!