Saturday, December 8, 2007

Life begins

On November 22nd I gave birth by an emergency C-section to two beautiful boys, Preston and Jonathan they were 25.3 weeks. However Prestons lungs were very underdeveloped and didn't survive. He passed away 5 hours later and took his last breathe in mommys arms.
The first 7 days with Jonathan were what the nurses described as a honeymoon stage, there was a scare on the 24th of November he had to be moved from the regular ventilator to a high pressured oscillator. He seemed to tollerate that better than the ventilator however it was a step in the wrong direction, as everyone says you have to take it one day at a time! On his seventh day of life he was transitioned back to the regular ventilator Justin and I were very scared but Jonathan wasn't he did alright. The doctor came in and said he is doing great given his gestational age (25 weeker) then asked if I would like to hold him, I looked at my son and couldn't imagine holding my son who is only 1lb 10ozs but of course I did! It was so amazing I held him for an hour and didn't want to let go, he laid on my chest his tiny hands on my chest he was warm and so was I. The nurse put him back in his little incubator and I had to go pump. Holding him meant so much to me and the nurse said it means a whole lot to babies, it helps them breathe better, it lets them bond, it relaxes their heart rate and it ultimately helps wean them from ventilator to a CPAP (a nasal ventilator) another step forward.

No comments: